Save yourself time and money with our top tips for proofing
Checking proofs and all the correspondence between your client and then DTP takes up your time. Proofing is hugely important, but there are things you can do to make it a bit easier and a bit more efficient.
Here are our top 5 tips for proofing:
- Set aside time. When you get a proof in, don’t look at it until you have a quality 5 or 10 minutes to look it over properly and find all the changes in one go.
- Check for one type of problem at a time. Check your proof several times. Read all the text looking for spelling errors only, then go back over checking facts. Start at page 1 again and check the photos used and so on.
- Make a checklist. Set out a short checklist to make tip 2 easy to repeat again and again. Outline what you will check and in what order, then nothing will be missed.
- Read aloud. Sometimes you become a bit ‘blind’ to your own copy. Reading it aloud will let you hear if the text flows and makes sense.
- Be strict. If you follow the above tips and even pass your proofing checklist to your clients you should only need to spend time e-mailing changes once or twice to DTP before the proof can be approved.